Monday, November 12, 2007

Dodge Ball

Let's break this down...shall we? Dodge Ball-dodge the ball that is being whipped at you full force by one of your best buddies. This is a game that swept Elementary Schools across the nation in the 70's and early 80's. I recall the anxiety on gym day as a rather small, little girl. The best part-we played this game coed no less. So Big Bad Billy was front and center, looking for his next victim. It blows my mind how this was a part of the curriculum back in the day and approved by the school board. Who thought of this? Were they sitting around one day and some twisted person said "You know what would be cool? If we gave the kids those rubber red balls and let them just beat each other down with them until the tears busted loose!" I often wonder if this was the teachers way of ensuring that certain kids get their butt's whipped because they couldn't do it themselves (just kidding). Anyone that reads this and is old enough to know first hand-this game was no joke. Not a gym day went by that someone didn't take a shot in the ear, or in the nose, or in parts where things just aren't meant to be thrown full force at. Not one class went by where someone wasn't crying, with a beat red ear, or a bent back finger. Hurt, AND embarrassed all in one shot. What a way to boost a child's self esteem. I'm glad someone came along and decided to say "You know what, I don't think this is a safe game for 5-10 year olds to be playing. Let's get rid of this game." I'm glad for my kids, and for myself. If one of my kids came home and told me they "took one for the team" by catching a rubber red ball with their face in gym class today, I wouldn't want them to have to suffer the humiliation when "Momma Bouche'" walked into the school that day to address the issue.

No comments: