Monday, January 28, 2008

I am Officially Mortified....

A few weeks back, my daughter had to write a short story in class (she is in 4th grade) about putting on a hat, and transforming into someone else. Her story was excellent. As a matter of fact, I am going to have her re-write it to fit on one page, and frame it for her father. The hat she chose was a New York Jets Football Helmet, and she became an NFL football player. Her story told in great detail of how she played with Chad Pennington, and how she was "terrified" as she was running with the ball, in hopes not to get tackled. I was very proud of her story. It had an intro, the meat, which was very vivid, and a great ending. I love it. Fine. Good. Great. Here comes the mortifying part of this post......Last week, she had to write a story about how someone jumped out of a book that she was reading. SO, although I haven't seen the story yet, she got in the car filled with excitement the day she wrote it. She told me how in her story she was reading a biography, and a singer that she was reading about jumped out of the book. They sang and danced to all of her songs and had the best time ever. She named a few of her songs in her story, and spoke of how they sang the night away. This is what she tells me. Again, I haven't seen the story yet. So what's wrong with that? The musician you ask? Britney FREAKIN' Spears. WHY? why? why? I own none of her music, I don't speak about her, I don't update my 9 year old on Britney's current dreadful events, so why in the world would she pick her? I will say, despite her undesirable personal life, if you love to dance as I do, Britney does have some great dance tracks. But never in a million years would I have thought that Amber would write a story about her. That's so embarrassing as a mother. I am officially now THAT mother. The one I never wanted to be. When I told Amber that Britney isn't making very good choices and she's not a good role model, she replied with..."Mom, all I wrote about was her music, not her personal life." As I said, Amber doesn't know about that stuff. Once in a blue she'll ask me about what's all over the magazines in the stores. They should put those things behind the counter with the Playboy magazines where little eyes can't read them. So yeah....I am THAT mother. What is her teacher thinking of me right now? I am 10+ years her senior no less. Good Times, Good Times....I'm sure it's only the beginning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Girl as a teacher I have come to the understanding that kids dont always do or say what we think they would. You are a great mom and dont worry what anyone thinks.