Thursday, February 21, 2008

Random Act of Kindness....

I checked my mail yesterday morning, and stuffed in between the bills was a bright blue envelope. As I revert back to age 7 as I often do, I threw the bills to the side to open up this great card I got and couldn't for the life of me figure out who it was from, or why. I ripped it open, to find that it wasn't for me. So I looked at the envelope, and saw that it was for a girl that must have lived at my address prior to me. It was a birthday card, and enclosed was a check for $100.00. It was also a hand made card made by obviously a very crafty lady. But the message in the card is what gripped me. It read as follows:

Dear Katie,

Happy Birthday! We miss you. I want to share and participate more in your life. We have to make the effort. Meet you in Raleigh? We Love You! Hope you have a wonderful Birthday!

Jeff and Melinda

I don't know who any of these people are, but I couldn't just throw this stuff in the garbage and go about my day. On the check, it had their phone number, but no area code. So I went online, and found it. I called Jeff and Melinda, and left them a message. I told them I opened the card in error, and that Katie no longer lives at this address. I said I was going to tear up the check, but more importantly, I wanted to let them know that Katie wouldn't be receiving the note, and it seemed very personal and I didn't want them to think that their gesture went un-noticed or was rejected. I didn't leave a name or number, I had called from the office phone. Obviously the whole world has caller ID. A few hours later, Jeff called back. I reiterated what I said in the message, again saying that I didn't want them to think Katie got this card, and rejected their efforts. He said: "Thank you very much for tearing up the check, but more importantly I called back to thank you SO MUCH for your Random Act of Kindness, it means alot to us, and we would have wondered forever about it. Thank you again."

Here and there, 2 minutes of your time can mean the world to someone, even a complete stranger.

No comments: