Tuesday, February 19, 2008

To Metro, or Not to Metro?



What do you think? I went shopping yesterday for an Easter outfit for my son, and I noticed in both The Gap and The Children's Place that the clothing this season for little boys is very metro. A little dweeby too if you ask me. Don't think I'm feeling the look. Back in the day, if you wore outfits like these, you would get beat up. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with a touch of metro, and I have seen many men that look good in pink, or mint green, even salmon. But these are "pushing the envelope." I'm not a big fan of the busy plaid, although I know it's the "In thing" for both kids, teens, and adults. The short shorts for little girls have GOT TO GO. I'm all about knee length...you know...clam diggers. I did wind up getting Alex tan linen pants, a royal blue linen button down, and a multi colored tie. But I would never do my son so wrong as to put those shoes on his feet. Those shoes belong on cheerleaders. At least in my time that's what they wore. I believe Sandy Olson owned those shoes as well...or was it the white keds with the blue "keds" thingy on the back of the heel? Anyway, his dress shoes or brown "old school" Puma's will do just fine. I guess it's a matter of what type of style you like. I love when my son looks like a little grown man. Faux Hawk and all. Or a skull cap-another one of my favorites. Maybe if they stopped trying so hard, and just put the button downs with some "Bon Jovi Jeans" (I call any jeans with tears and holes Bon Jovi Jeans) and a tie would do just fine. And to me, if the shirt isn't solid, a multi colored tie is just too much. Besides...aren't they just going to wipe boogies on the sleeves and roll in the dirt anyway?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Both of these outfits would be a no, no for me and my son. I am more solids or a stripe - but certainly not the busy plaid!!! I love linen for little boys and got Joseph a great outfit last year in Children's Place and it still looks brand new.

Little Girls and Teenagers - they need to make longer shorts and skirts!!! I love that the bermudas seem to be coming out for spring and summer.

And I think we all know that NO ONE appreciates a Bon Jovi Jean for kids more then Re-Re!!!