Saturday, March 8, 2008

Love Knows No Color...But Cake Does!





Those are my beautiful nephews. They are my sister Patti's 2 oldest children, Devin on the right, and Isaiah on the left. Also pictured is my Mom, and Amber. They are actually her three oldest of nine grandchildren. Then came Mackenzie, Danielle, Joseph, Noah, Alex, and last but not least, Logan. My mother is the proudest Grandmother ever. One of her grandchildren could run someone over with a car, and she would conjure up the best reason she could to excuse their behavior. Tonight we had a birthday cake for the 2 big boys pictured here. The big 13, and 12. After the boys, my sister got married and had the three smaller kids with her husband, who has also been a father to the boys since they were 2 and 3. Therefore, Devin is the only bi-racial child in the family. He never knew that, or even realized it. Although my mother looks pail in this photo, she is a very dark skinned Italian woman, so Devin always used to say...."No one else in our family is brown, except for me and Nana". My mother would follow up with..."That's right Baby, that's right." Of course he's older and wiser now, and knows the whole deal. So after lunch, dinner, board games, football, and bowling on the Wii, because my sister Marie is the best host on the face of the earth and had a day long birthday celebration for the boys, it was time for cake. My sister very innocently made a sheet cake, and trying to accommodate everyone, she iced half of it vanilla, and half of it chocolate. Do you get the funniness in this? It's the 2 boys birthday's, one is "brown" and one is white, and she took the cover off the cake, and we see a half brown half white cake. I don't know if you find the humor in this, but we were all dying laughing over this...Devin...who is very funny....was like..."Why does it have to be a black/white thing? Oh, so it's like that huh?" We were already all pumped up after my brother pulled the chair out from Devin when he went to sit down as payback because he had done the same thing to him over the summer, so this just added to the adrenalin that already filled the house. Then she innocently cut the cake right down the middle, separating the colors-so that turned in to..."Why did you have to cut the cake like that? Why didn't you cut it horizontally instead?" We were all hysterical at this point, even my sister. If she wasn't the best host in the world and just made whatever kind of cake that she felt like making, we wouldn't have gotten this big laugh. Thanks Re-Re for always going over the top. You gave us a good laugh tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is THE BEST!!!!!!!! I was cracking up with tears reading it!!! gotta love RE-RE
P.s. Happy Birthday boys!!!! They are soooo BIG and HANDSOME (give kisses if they let ya) Rosies lookin good too ;) I gotta 'tween' of my own over here, to me Devins response IS PRICELESS!!!!!
Dawne