Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Consistency is the Key

This is definitely an area where I could improve. I am not very consistent when it comes to certain things. Dinner doesn't happen at the same time every night. Neither does bed time. I attribute this to my "free spirit-ism". I do not punch a clock for anything, or anyone. Just ask any boss that I have ever had, all of my family members, and my friends. I am not a predictable person in any way shape or form. I do not want an "itinerary" when I go on vacation. I can't plan ahead what I want to eat for dinner for the week, because how do you know if you'll be the mood for Shrimp PrimaVera on Wednesday when it's only Monday? It KILLS my sister that I will go to the grocery store EVERYDAY because I don't know what to pull out of the freezer, nor do I like freezing anything, I like it fresh. Anyhow, point being is that I decided that one thing that needs to be consistent is my sons night time rituals. So I called Daddy. He said he puts him to bed between 8:00 and 8:30, with water only, in his "Big Boy Bed". Which of course, at Daddy's is a race car bed. Very Cool. He puts the gate on his door, kisses him goodnight, and leaves. At my house, at no particular time, I let him lay with Amber, and they watch T.V. and fall asleep. I think it's adorable to see my kids sleep together, and figure she won't want to sleep with him much longer, so I embraced it. Alex said it would come back and bite me. Last night I tried Daddy's way. My son was letting out gut wrenching screams at the gate by his room. He was crying so hard that he couldn't catch his breath. I went in there, and he wanted juice, not water. So I put a splash of juice in his water. I caved. I would never put my kids to bed with a drink but I lost that battle to Daddy a long time ago as he still at 35 goes to bed with a glass of water by his side. Then he wanted music. He falls asleep at school to lullaby's. Well, I don't have any, so the night ended like this.......A splash of juice, the gate went up, and my IPOD was connected to Amber's IDOG, and I believe he finally fell asleep to either "Respect" by Aretha Franklin, or "Irreplaceable" by Beyonce (To the left, to the left). Consistency is the Key my friends...Consistency is the key.

No comments: