Thursday, March 27, 2008

Modifiers

I love all of you, and I used to be one myself. Some of my nearest and dearest are the most finicky eaters that I know. This can't touch this on the plate, I'll eat a grilled cheese, but I won't eat cheese on a hamburger(you know who you are too) I love tomato sauce, but hate tomatoes (and you know who you are too....and they are married). Big Alex is the BIGGEST modifier I have ever met in my life-but yet he loves to go out to eat. He's such a modifier that when he would order his food, I felt awkward. He's so bad that he doesn't even modify. He's a...."I will have the blah blah blah with ONLY....". What makes me laugh the most is when modifiers say that the dish they are eating lacks something, or it sucks. Well.....DUH. You left out half of the ingredients that make up the flavor of the dish! We sell dishes at the restaurant that we are specifically taught..."If they leave this, that and that off, encourage them to pick another dish." Or how about the "On the siders". Like Meg Ryan in "When Harry Met Sally". I'll have the Cobb salad but I want the avocado on the side and I want the egg on the side and I do not want the chicken........HEY GUESS WHAT? THEN YOU DON'T WANT A COBB SALAD YOU WANT A BOWL OF LETTUCE. I eat just about anything, unless it's consistency can be construed as "chewy". I was never this way. I recall many "Cheese sandwich dinners" when my father would cook his favorite Irish dishes. I never liked seafood. My mother used to make veal and lie to us and say it was chicken to get us to eat it. I don't know what happened, but it's like when I gave birth to Amber, when I wasn't looking, the doctor installed new taste buds in my mouth. I never modify. If I don't like more than one thing in the dish-I don't get it. But 9 out of 10, I'll eat anything. Like a man too. My sisters says she has never seen such a little person stuff so much food into their little body. I am NEVER that woman that goes out to eat, and orders a salad. I do eat whatever I want for the most part, and I eat it all the way. Slop it on there. When people ask..."Would you like mustard, ketchup or mayo on your burger?" my reply is "Yes." But I notice this passes down to your children as well. My kids eat ALL vegetables, all fruit, shrimp, lobster, pork, poultry, beef.....you name it, they eat it. My son rolls up his soft taco supreme, and goes at it. You have to see my daughter eat a fried pork chop ON THE BONE. I don't even really like those. Another "Mom used to make" dish. As I said, I know a whole lot of modifiers/picky eaters, and as a reformed picky eater, I got nuttin' but luv fo' ya.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, if anyone knows my daughter she too is a 'little' girl, like me and you Connie. And like me in sooo many other ways as well, including eating to her hearts content!! Besides not gaining an ounce. This girl eats so much 'like a man' that when she goes to other peoples houses (including family) I literally have been guilted into sending her with what I like to call her 'goodie bag' !!!! Of course including doubles or alternates of whatever it is in order for her to SHARE with the other child/children whatever it may be!!! And I don't mean just snacks! I'll go as far as every last piece of fruit in the house, tupperwears full of whatever leftovers I can find in the fridge, eggs, cooked or raw LOL (we love eggs over here) OMG you name it... This all coming from "Man this kid can eat", "I dont know where she puts it", "Do you feed this kid", "Hide the food, lock the fridge, Kara's coming" And the absolute BESTEST... from Uncle Billy "Kara's coming??? did she eat yet, we don't have much here???!!!!" LMAO he calls her the girl with worm. You should see her eyes bulge and the happy dance she does when she sniffs out something he has that she wants...The olive fight is a CLASSIC and probably much more appreciated and funny if you hear it direct from Billy. Or how about the day she ate 15 chicken nuggets and 5 min. later told Bhainin she was HUNGRY!!! Siobhainin defends her with 'they WERE small ones) Anyway, She does eat pretty healthy, I'd say... like yours. She'll not only eat an average man 'under the table' any day of the week she loves her fruits, veggies, and meat, but she will try anything, pretty much with anything in it or on it!!!
On the rare occasion I 'force' Taco Bell on these kids, Kara will indulge her taco drippin with 'how it comes' and say with her mouth full, "how many did you get me" concerned she won't have ENOUGH!!! Ryan will sulk and finally settle for the "Cheese quesadilla, plain, no sauce, that's CHEESE ONLY" The day my son eats a taco I would have to break out the video camera to capture the moment-
The moral of my response: He might look like me with nicer hair, but he IS his father all over----> A MODIFIER!!!!!!! (God forbid, his corn touches his meat or his dressing touches anything, OCD sets in and the meal is ruined) I'll stick to the oldest one in the book: "It's all going to the same place anyway!!!" MODIFY this!!!!! LOL