My daughter is turning 10 tomorrow. I can't even believe it as I write it. Double digits. I would have loved to freeze her by now and have her stay little forever. I feel like the past 10 years went by in the blink of an eye. I can clearly see her sucking her middle and ring finger until they were beat red before she found her thumb. Here a few highlights of the past decade with my beautiful daughter.
- 1. When I found out she was a girl, I had hoped she wouldn't be bald. She was born with more hair than some grown men.
- 2.She cried for the first year of her life, and I dragged my whole family and close friends into the misery.
- 3. I recall my first psycho mother moment at her first dance recital when another child was on her number, and I rushed the stage like a mad woman...yelling "It's okay baby, just do your dance!" That was the last time I had the urge to shove a 2 year old.
- 4. Being able to overcome 4+ years of thumb sucking simply by showing her photos of severely damaged teeth due to thumb sucking on the Internet.
- 5. How thankful I am for having years of one on one time with her. Gymboree, movie nights, long walks, Our Mommy/daughter trip to Disney, playing cards, and cuddling at night.
- 6. 3 years of walking her into school, and all the way to her classroom. (She cut me off in third grade)
- 7. Watching her and my niece Danielle bond on a daily basis as if she had a live in sister when she was 18 months old. Thank God Danielle was a big sturdy baby, or she may no longer be with us.
- 8. Sharing my pregnancy and the birth of my son with her at an age where she could understand and enjoy it.
- 9. Going through a lot of growing pains with her, as we left our family here to move back to New York, and then leaving our family there to come back here. She always said..."As long as we are together, everything will be Okay."
- 10. Watching her develop into a young lady over this past year has been quite a transformation. She went from extra long hair, basketball shorts and big t-shirts to layers and long bangs, skinny jeans, and layered tank tops.
What a decade it has been. We actually have both grown so much. I wouldn't be who I am, or where I am without her. Happy Birthday Amber Michelle. You will always be my baby Girl. My Sunshine. I Love You.