Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Grass is Always Greener.....

I would love to have all of these great adventures to tell you that I took while my kids are away, but the fact is....I've done absolutely nothing. Thursday night I was home, worked Friday all day and night, worked Saturday during the day, went to bed at about 9:30pm last night (woo-hoo! What a Saturday night!), went to church this morning, came straight home, watched 'Titanic' and cried for the 50th time at that movie, and thanked God that I was not born in a time where they put the poor people on the bottom of the boat and left the woman and children to die because they were 'sewer rats' I believe the phrase was. I just did some laundry, and some dishes, and I'm back to doing nothing once again.

Which brings me to my title, The Grass is Always Greener. When your with your kids, there are times, and don't lie to yourself-you know there are these times, that you wish you could walk in to the house without 3 back packs and sippy cups and garbage. Times when you wish you could go shoe shopping by yourself in peace. Times when you wish that on the spur of the moment you could call a girlfriend, and go for a bite to eat or a glass of wine, and not be on a time schedule. You may look at the women you know that don't have kids, and feel a little envious of their freedom. None of this has anything to do with not loving your kids, it just has to do with desiring what you don't have, or what you think you want, even if it's only temporary.

So here I was, with several prime time days and nights to do whatever I wanted, with no limitations, no restrictions, and no obligations. The fact of the matter is, you don't become this crazy rock star over night just because your kids are out of town. I didn't "POOF" into this rich woman that could go on an 8 hour shopping free or spend the day at the spa, and I didn't "POOF" into this party animal wild woman who came home with the sunrise-I'm still me. A Mommy. Who loves and misses her kids. Who has a pretty basic routine. Who can sometimes look a whole lot fancier than she really is. Here's the pleasures I relished in while my kids are away:

I got to wake up naturally.
I talked a little on the phone with no interruptions.
I showered, and got dressed in peace and quiet.
I watched a movie or 2 without missing half of it because I was needed elsewhere.
I haven't had to cook.

There you have it. That's it. I'm sorry I can't "WOW" you with something better, but sometimes the simple things in life are very rewarding.

No comments: