Saturday, December 27, 2008

Resolution

A New Year's Resolution is a commitment that an individual makes to a project or the reforming of a habit, often a lifestyle change that is generally interpreted as advantageous. The name comes from the fact that these commitments normally go into effect on New Year's Day and remain until fulfilled or abandoned. More socio-centric examples include resolutions to donate to the poor more often, to become more assertive, or to become more economically or environmentally responsible. People may act similarly during the Christian fasting period of Lent, though the motive behind this holiday is more of sacrifice than of responsibility. The new year resolution is one example of the rolling forecast-method of planning. According to this method, plans are established at regular short or medium-term time intervals, when only a rough long-term plan exists.

That's the technical definition. The key phrase I see up there is 'fulfilled or abandoned'.
What's it gonna be this year? fulfilled, or abandoned? That's the question of all questions my friends. I don't make New Year's resolutions. I make New Year's 'hopes'.

Here are some of my 'hopes'.....................


I hope to continue to monitor and make a concious effort to control my temper.

I hope I take the time to define my children as individuals, and not just as a family.

I hope I give them each their own deserved undivided attention.

I hope to accept that I can work less, and still survive just fine.

I hope my wedding is smooth and stress free.

I hope my spiritual growth makes leaps and bounds.

I hope I grown a burning desire to do laundry.

I hope we are continually blessed with good health.

I hope God continues to shower my church with His favor and blessing.

I hope my little man will stop feeling so sad when I drop him off at school.

I hope for continuous innocence for my daughter as she enters her 'tween' years. I will fight tooth and nail for this.

I hope I adjust well to no longer being the 'everything' of the household. (Man, woman, cook, chauffeur, dry cleaner....etc.)

I will start hoping for a baby in the spring.


Those are my hopes for 2009. No money hopes, no new big house hopes, no tangible hopes with big red bows on them. Not even the ever so popular "I want to lose 15 pounds" hopes. Just the hopes of my heart.

No comments: