Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hoarders

I will never again say my house is a mess.

I will never again wonder why my husband looks at me like I'm insane when I say my house is a disaster.

I am clean, I am organized, I am tidy, my home is safe, and no one would ever walk in, even unexpected, and not want to eat here.

I couldn't sleep last night, and came across the show called 'Hoarders'. I have never seen anything like it in my life. I have never known, or even known someone who has known a hoarder. It was the most bizarre sickness I have ever seen.

One older woman hoarded cats. The county pulled 76 cats out the house. 76. 38 were alive, and the rest were skeletons, including many, many babies. She never meant to harm the animals, she just liked to feed them.

One woman once fell on hard times and wasn't able to eat much variety of foods, so she hoarded food. Her house was full of rotten, molded perishables, amongst enough boxed and jarred food to last her 2 lifetimes.

Another young man hoarded, what seemed to me to be trash. And dog hair. He just loved his dog so much that he never wanted to get rid of anything that had to do with it, so he never once cleaned up the dog hair in YEARS. Clumps and clumps and filth everywhere.

I know this is an illness, and they were getting these people help. Here are a few examples of hoarding. You won't believe your eyes.




1 comment:

Marie Marsicano said...

I seriously have the complete opposite illness. I can't just sit in cluter - it is just not in me. I get it from the generations before me. Nanny, Aunt Rose, Mommy - they all were cut from the same cloth - and now we are too.

A few things on the counter can make me twitch!!! This would put me in an institution!!!