Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Getting by, with a little help, from your friends

I have a friend. Their life has been shaken quite a bit over the past year or so. A broken, extremely short marriage, getting back on their feet, no family here, trying to heal and still stay afloat. Not the over emotional expressive type, but will still let things out in their own way.

4 weeks ago, that friend asked me if I was going to church that Sunday. My answer of course was yes. I go every Sunday, it's my favorite part of my week. 11:30 service works best for them. I never go to 11:30 service. I'm an 8:30 attender. No matter-11:30 it was.

I meet them in the lobby, we attend church together, and then we go our separate ways. I discuss sermons with them on their terms, when they are ready. I wasn't sure exactly how God was working in them, but he was doing enough for them to come back each week since. This makes me so happy. This is an instance where, even though it's only one person, I am the church. Then it came. The sentence that made switching service times and not pushing, but being consistent all worth while.

'I want to thank you for being there for me. I really appreciate you. I lost a lot of faith with all that I have been through, and I am learning a lot by coming to church with you, and it makes me feel good.'

YES!!! Any other takers? It's just that simple. Your whole life can change. It will change. Just like mine did. Not over night, but I promise you it will.

No comments: