Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Speak Truth

We were leaving the house the other day to go to my brothers for a BBQ. It was the 4th, actually. There was a car stuck, blocking the exit at the gate. She directed us to the other gate. Apparently, their car was stuck. I knew this, because I had come home about a half hour before, and they were sitting there. I did wonder why no one had pushed the car out of the way, but then it left my mind until we passed it again. I kept driving. My husband said...maybe we should stop. I've worked on cars, I can probably help them. I blew it off. Well, I tried to. I justified my selfishness by saying "They've been there a while. I'm sure they have a plan. They are probably waiting for someone." I kept driving. He said it again..."I might be able to help them. We should just stop and see." I ignored his request, pulled out of our neighborhood, and I headed down the road. My husband said..."That was very ungodly".

Ouch.

I tried to turn it into a light hearted moment, and laugh it off. He stood firm. He said it again. "That was VERY ungodly". Completely rebuked. He did not crack so much as a grin either. I was clearly disappointing my husband, and he was making sure I knew I was disappointing God.

I am sure you can guess what happened next. I turned the car around to go see if he could help. He sat their quietly, while I did what I should have done in the first place.

I am so glad I have a husband that will speak truth into my life, even if it's not what I want to hear. I hope he is always so bold. I hope I can be the same way when I come face to face with a circumstance where I need to speak truth into someones life.

No comments: