Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What's in a Name?

Have you ever really thought about the fact that you are in control of giving someone the name that will be with them for the rest of their life? That's a pretty big responsibility. I grew up in the north, and I am raising my kids in the south. Let me tell you-what a difference. I went to school with Tommy, Ralphie, Jason, Jimmy, Michael, Kristine, Michelle, Tricia, Giovanna, Nicole.......my friends children's names are Julianna, Angelina, Kara, Morgan, Ryan, Anthony, Christian...you get the picture.

Working at the preschool, I have heard the most unique names in my life. A lot of little girls have maiden names as their middle names here. Wilson, Fletcher, Slate, etc. I know a lot of little girls that have 2 first names. Mary Morgan, Sarah Emily, Selby Kate...etc. Lots of bold biblical names. A few other names that could get a boy beat up one day. It makes me hope that my kids grow up to love their names, and are proud to say them out loud. Here's a small explanation of each:

Taylor Storm-I obviously didn't name him, but I know for a fact he thinks he has the greatest middle name ever. However, he does have his moments when he wishes he was named after Robert.

Amber Michelle-First name-no meaning other than the fact that it took 9 months for us to agree on a name. Michelle is after Alex's Uncle Mike.

Alexander John-This was non negotiable. Something Alex has wanted since the day he was old enough to even think about having kids. To have a son, and for him to be the third. Luckily, I really like the name-so that was no problem.

BellaMay Rose-BellaMay-Robert's grandmother's name was MayBelle, so we flipped it. Rose is my mother's name.

I am the only one of 4 kids who doesn't have a family name. It used to bother me, but it's really not a big deal. Hopefully Amber will feel the same.

Big responsibility-naming someone. Hey-at least I did better than Apple, or Knoxx.

1 comment:

Jim, Heather, Jordan and Madison said...

I love this post - I always ask people, what would you have named your child if they hadn't been a boy/girl? As for us - Jordan Matthew (M after my brother) would have been Averi Corrine, just because at the time we really liked it. Madison Elise (after no one in particular) would have been Peyton Alexander.