Thursday, August 12, 2010

Do you believe in signs? 7-11

How do you feel about 'signs'? Do you feel that some things are just too coincidental to be 'just by chance'? Here's my sign, you decide.

A HUGE part of who my father was was that he owned a 7-11 food store. We owned this store for 12 out of the 18 years that I spent with my father. It's not so much that he owned it, but more of how he got there. With no college education, my father had several different jobs in his younger years. I think he may have even had a coffee truck? My sister will help me with that, she knows more than I do. She actually blogged about something similar here. A bartender I believe....whatever it took to keep provision for his family. He has a true story of working your way up from the bottom. He worked for the Southland Corporation (7-11) training franchisees, which was an office job, and he also worked as a clerk in a local 7-11 store. I remember that was when he taught me how to tie a tie, and he used to let me shave next to him with a razor with a cap on it. He started to travel with this position, and after a short while, he couldn't bare to leave his wife and 4 kids alone to travel quite frequently. He was quitting the job all together, to find something that better suited his family. They didn't want to let him go. So much so, that the store that we owned was about to close, and they decided to practically give him the store (for $4000.00) in hopes that he would be able to bring it back to life. He did just that. And then some. It turned to be one of the top performing stores for many years.

The sign? Just when you're not sure if your loved ones are still with you....you have a baby girl, and she weighs 7 pounds, 11 ounces. Coincidence? You decide. I know what I think.

1 comment:

Marie Marsicano said...

I certainly believe...there have been too many signs for me not too.