Sunday, December 16, 2007

What happens when you grow old?

Can anyone explain to me what happens to "style sense" once you grow old? Working at the restaurant, I see tons of people. Young and old. Not all, but most old people wear some funky stuff. Does something in your brain deteriorate as you get older that causes you to wear things that in your "hay day" you wouldn't be caught dead in? And am I destined to be that elderly lady that the younger generation is laughing at? Next time you go somewhere, observe......whether it be the VERY matronly haircut, or the obnoxious color schemes, or the make up that looks like it was put on in the dark in the car going over speed bumps.....it's crazy. And I am not being mean, I am stating the facts. Look around-I'm telling you the truth. Now my Grandmother until her dying day was stylin'. Hair was dyed, nails were done, and her clothes were very nice. And God forbid she leave the house without a heel on? NEVER HAPPEN. But she was an exception to the general population. When people ask me how I wear my high heels, and keep up with my nails/brows/toes/hair...my response is this. "I'm not going down without a fight. I will not "frump" before my time. I will not succumb to the rut that women approaching 40 sometimes fall into." Ok I'm not nearing 40...but you know what I mean. I can fight it all I want, but one day, just as lots of others, I could very well be the elderly woman with the gaudy Holiday Sweater on with my jacket draped over my shoulders because I'm chilly and my Michael Jackson white socks, or better yet KNEE-HIGHS sticking out of my pants......that are floods, going to my once a week wash and blow out, and my rouge will be 4 shades darker than it should be. It's inevitable....oh well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes Nanny Connie - she certainly had it all together and was age appropriate yet not frumpy.

Not everyone know our other grandmother "Marie" - I am her namesake - but who Colleen really favors. Looks and big gaudy earrings and jewlery. And I will remind my sister that everyone called her Miss Piggy!!! It was all in love though.

Now Colleen there are 2 schools of thought on what you are discussing - the first being yours where you don't want to frump out and the second being my 2 teen age nieces (and I am sure the speak for many their age) that is - at a certain point whether you can fit in the clothes or not - women should not shop in the juniors department. It is very educational to have such young and hip nieces - and I have seen them pick on a 40 something in the juniors department at Kohls - and it is not pleasant.... They too are extremely funny with this.

So I caution the author who loves feather, fur, rhinestones, peep toe leopard pumps and big hoop earrings that eventually you will need to downsize all of that or fall victim to the younger generation.... Like the ladies at the Cheesecake did last night....

Anonymous said...

My Baby is the greatest writer EVA !!!!! Everyone should read this blog......