Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Marriage

I'm not married very long, but have learned a lot about marriage thus far. With plenty still to learn, I am excited for the future. I've learned a lot about marriage as an outsider, being that I am surrounded by many happily married, seasoned couples, but it's different when you experience it for yourself.


I've learned that:


Even a single mother can be selfish in her routine with her and her kids. It's no longer just us, and I call all the shots. That's not a bad thing, it's a good thing, but an adjustment just the same.


If I didn't have God in my life, and the desire to be a Godly wife and live a life that pleases Him, I probably wouldn't be half the wife I am.


Even if something is not important to me, if it's important to my husband, it's important to me.


I have to let my husband make decisions for our family, even if I don't necessarily agree, and stand by him and allow him to learn through his success, or his failure.

I have to love my spouse for who his is, not what he does for me.

There is no 'keeping score' in marriage.

Caring for my husband is a privilege, not a job.

I need to communicate my needs humbly, as needs, not as demanding 'expectations'.

Part of being a good wife is taking pride in taking care of our home, our children, and my husband, even when I'm too tired or I 'just don't feel like it'.

When I have my moments where my thoughts aren't exactly 'Christ centered', I just think about my wedding vows, and the calling God has placed on me. He's given me the opportunity to be a wife, something I had kind of given up on. I don't want to disrespect that ever.

My next post will be written by my husband, and his views on marriage thus far. Should be interesting!

1 comment:

Marie Marsicano said...

This is a great post Colleen. I see married couples struggle with what they think is "equality" but what they fail to see is that marriage will not always be 50/50 and we should not complain when it is 90/10 and we are giving 90 - because for sure that has been flipped 10/90 and we wouldn't want our spouse talking like that.

Marriage is a work in progress - but as long as you are willing to work on your marriage with your spouse it will turn into a "masterpiece."